Monday, November 12, 2012

Happy Veterans Day


Today is Veterans Day... a day to thank all of our Veterans who have served in the military and have fought to protect our freedom.

Today I not only think of the many veterans I know.  I also think of my Grandfather, who fought in World War II and the Korean conflict.

Here's a picture of him with my brother, some 14 years ago, I believe.


I told him that day that his hair matched his tie, lol.

And anytime he had to dress up, he wore that white tie.

He passed a couple years later after this picture was taken from lung cancer. I miss him very much. He was the constant male figure in my life. And no matter what was going on, he was always happy to see me. I remember that no matter what anyone else thought of me, he always thought well of me. And that's a good thing.

We never talked much about his service in the military. I remember him saying once that cigarettes were part of the soldier's rations way back when he was in the service, and that's the reason he always smoked. But we never talked much past that about his wartime experiences.

I wish he was here to talk about it now. I was caught up with my own life issues back then in my twenties. I think I would appreciate his talks more that I older.

So that's who I think about today. My grandfather. I think about my brother who is not in the military, but has been in the military for the past 8 years, serving now over in Afghanistan.

I think those who serve in the military are our nation's bravest citizens. They put themselves in harms way so that we can be free.

And that is something to be thankful for.

So to all those who have served, and to those currently serving... I thank you for your service.

This day is for you.

3 comments:

  1. I know I've been outta the loop for a minute, but did you go and publish 3 books while I was gone??

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Chele... No ma'am. 'Round January or february on kindle. Heck, it would be a fine birthday present to myself, lol

    Nope, just had some covers made, and working on a few others. I put those up just to be putting them up (I was so doggone happy to find an affordable graphics designer!).

    I didn't expect anyone to even notice them! Strange that people are asking me about them. Just me tacking the "vision" up on the walls of the House of LadyLee, so I can stay motivated. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that's right. I love the covers!

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!