Monday, March 04, 2013

Monday Food for Thought: Knowing Your Options

I came across this information a few weeks ago. It was part of a sermon on dealing with conflict and difficult people. I wrote it down on the back of an envelope, so it's a tad bit cryptic, but I thought it was interesting.

What to do when dealing with difficult people (conflict resolution):

1. Demand that THEY grow up. Sometimes you are dealing with immature people. Hallmarks of immaturity are selfishness and egocentricity.

2. Demand of YOURSELF that you grow up. A major part of this is that you learn to pick and choose your battles wisely. Do not waste your time arguing and fighting battles unless they threaten your destiny or personal convictions.

3. Demand that THEY move on.

4. Demand of YOURSELF that you move.

The bottom line is that you always have options.


My thoughts on this...

I like that last line:

The bottom line is that you always have options.

And I don't know if people understand that. I myself didn't understand that until I hit my 30s. Up until then there was always this goal of being accepted by people. I am the direct opposite these days: I only want genuine relationships... or nothing at all. Take the drama and conflict somewhere else.

It's alright for me to feel that way.

Afterall... There are 7 billion people walking this earth. I only need a decent handful in my life. I know I can't please everyone. And everyone can't please me. I accept that.

The points above resonated with me. They point to the fact that I have options. I don't have to be held emotionally hostage by anyone. And no one should be held emotionally hostage by me.

In any case, it points to the issue of things having to change. I know people who have been in conflict with the same folks for some 30 to 40 years... most of their lives, really. 

That's a long long time. A long time to be going through mess with people. Part of me admires people that can continuously go through a lot. Even though they are exasperated, they are long suffering. I just don't have that character trait, man. I am a champion of #4... I demand of myself that I move on. Period.  Now, I spend a lot of time thinking about whether I am being selfish or wrong. And if I can't figure it out, I move on.

But I thought that was interesting. I wanted to post that, just in case I lose my handy envelope.

You have to admit that any of the above options go a long way to resolving conflict.

4 comments:

  1. #4 is me all day. I've had to totally move on and even though it hurt it has been the best decision I've made :)

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really REALLY heavy on #4 too, honey. And yes, it hurts. But it is better than going through years and years of issues.

      But I like the list of options. There is no reason to just stand in place and be miserable with whoever or with yourself forever. You never know when you step up and say "What you are doing is hurting me..." and what you say resonates with that person and they make whatever changes that need to be made.

      Delete
  2. Blessings....
    I think the only demanding one can do is of their selves for one has no control over any other but self. Apart from expressing yourself, needs, whats and desires to the other party there is not else you can do for them. What you can do for you is to evaluate whether or not want to continue in the relationship such as it is and expend your precious time, energy and spirit.

    peace.
    Rhapsody
    http://rappingonamelody.blogspot.ca/
    https://plus.google.com/101099217204323189067
    http://www.shelfari.com/rhapsodyphoenix
    http://twitter.com/rhapsodyphoenix
    http://pinterest.com/rhapsodyphoenix/
    https://www.facebook.com/RhapsodyPhoenix

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, Rhap. But I think in this context, the "demanding" part has to do with you expressing your needs, wants and desires to the other party. And if they don't make the adjustments, then you have the option to move on.

      My problem is that I don't say anything. I deal with your mess for years. When I could've brought the issue up some years ago, thereby bringing the problem to your attention.

      I'm more concentrated on #2 and #4. I am more interested in what is going on with myself and the situation. I have to do better about exploring the other options in some cases. I had a couple of incidences last year where my speaking up and saying something caused the other person to think about their actions and make the adjustments, and everything is fine. Doesn't always work out that way, but good when it does.

      Delete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!